Monday 29 October 2012

epiphany

Hey ho,

I have been on a journey of discovery, looking introspectively at what makes me tick, and what I want from the future.

It is very simple, I am scared of not having enough money to survive on in old age and I am 48.
Thus, my epiphany is a vision of hard facts, i.e. not enough money in retirement, coupled with the emotional drain of worrying about every body else and their needs, especially financially.

Motivation came today from a blogger who really can put things into perspective. see....
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/10/18/why-your-time-is-worth-way-more-than-25-per-hour/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MrMoneyMustache+%28Mr.+Money+Mustache%29

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/


The vision of the future can be really scary and must be tempered with the here and now of the daily grind.But I am a practical person who likes to get things done, thus there is no point in self-pity, just set a goal....

I have decided to aim at 55 as a maximum retirement age. This may come to fruition if I plan the exercise. Here goes:.....

I am current 48 years and xxx days in age. Thus, I have 64 + 2190 days until I retire - total 2254.

My goal, to have £1000 per month minimum income per, month for my remaining years from the age of 55.

Thus, I must attempt to secure £25 per day between now and then, the clock is ticking.

My eureka moment happened not in an instant, but from long and thoughtful contemplation of what can I do for others, not 'what is in it for me'. I have discovered that my vision of self actualisation comes from pleasing others though social actions, not through financial interactions that realise a gain, i.e. the interactions you have in a typical place of work, doing, fetching, making,communicating for a boss or company. this does not give self actualisation only a salary.

What am I going to do? let's talk money.

2254 days until I want to leave my job, x £25 target per day savings, = 56350.
With interest at 3.01% this means I accumulate approx. £60201.
OK it is a start.

I will continue to do the maths, but I am determined that even if my calculations go awry, and my calculations are all wrong, then I will have to adapt to either earn or save more.

Note -bear with me, the calculation's come later...

The other part of this double-header is the emotional want of pleasing others.
This will take time, but I guess i am over the hard bit, what is it I want to do - serve others for the greater good of the community..... talk soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment